It is always important to evaluate all steps of a project and analyse the different ways you can improve on the next time you take on a creative project like the one I did as part of Unit 57. The main task was creating a series of photographs which we would submit to a magazine. We had to identify the type of magazine we think the content would be suitable for, accurately determine its target audience and then move onto the production of our own material. This consisted of brainstorming and creating mindmaps of our ideas as the first step. I had to evaluate my resources and skills available to me and think of an idea taking those factors into consideration. After coming up with the idea I was positive I wanted to and could create, I made a moodboard to illustrate this idea visually.
My initial idea was to take a series of statement pictures, each of them completely different in composition of shapes, objects and patterns, but having one thing in common: they all have a different theme colour assigned to them. So I chose to create images based on the following nine colours: red, pink, purple, blue, green, yellow, white, silver and black. This idea was heavily inspired by something I saw online a long time ago, which stated that ‘colour grouping’ objects is a great mind exercise for toddlers.
The image (above) that was attached to this article made me wonder about creating a stylised visual representation of this exercise through photography. The idea stayed in the back of my head for a while before I realised I could incorporate it through this Unit. But I didn’t just want my images to be a visually interesting combination of objects, shapes and colour variations. I also wanted each one of them to communicate a story. While planning this out I took into consideration each colour’s traditional meaning and added a layer of my own personality type interpretation. This created for an overall outcome of highly original and characterised images which still hold a firmly rooted place in traditional colour science.
I decided these images, which would have no clear subject other than their theme colour, would do well in a lifestyle magazine targeted at the teenage girl demographic. I thought they could be used as backgrounds for articles or in a spread about personality types, possibly even a personality quiz. I had seen similar images to my finished photographs in magazines like Seventeen, Teen Vogue and NYLON so I thought this would be the perfect platform for my work.
The effect I would hope my images would make on the target audience is to ponder their perception of self, to make them wonder about their own characteristics and the characteristics of others. I wanted to spark an awareness of the inner self which is defined by our material possessions. By representing inanimate objects I wanted to depict the bits and pieces of our personalities that slip out through the material.
I do feel compelled to mention that my final photographs include a bit of a darker edge, so they are a bit risky for publication in a teen magazine. What I mean by this is that I can totally see parents complaining to the magazine for publishing images which depict a book cover entitled ‘The Satanic Witch’, or showing BDSM collars as accessories for example. But as part of the target demographic I want to express that I firmly believe this darker edge just appeals to us more, as we like to feel a bit rebellious and reckless. Because of this I believe that my desired magazines would publish my work, because I have chosen publications that are known for constantly pushing the boundaries and being faithful to their young readers.
The creation process of the images included collecting and grouping the subject items in my room as I went along; I only had an initial basis of an idea of what I wanted to do for each colour and the rest was improvised, if you will. I then spent a bit of time busying myself with positioning the items onto the chosen background layer which matches the theme colour. My favourite part of this process was definitely the composition, placement and choosing the objects which I wanted to display, and I think this was my strongest technical suit. I do wish I had taken the time to get to know my DSLR camera a bit better and in turn enhance the quality of my photographs. I am always more focused on the ‘creative’ side of things instead of the technical but I’ve learned that you have to master the technical side of things if you want to give your creative side the right push. Despite this I managed to bring my final series of photographs 99% close to my initial plans. I absolutely love the way they turned out and I would like to repeat this serial in the future, once I am more comfortable using a camera. Just as I had planned, the colours were so vibrant and the lighting was so good that there was no need to use an additional editing software. My peers agreed with me on this point, one of them commenting that his ‘favourite thing about them is the sheer uniqueness of the colours’. Another one of my peers, who are also the target audience of the magazines I would submit my photographs to, said ‘I see this being published for sure’, which really encouraged me and validated the pride I had initially felt about my work.